As an Assistant General Counsel for Microsoft, Dennis Garcia practices at the intersection of law, technology and business and leads the legal support function to (1) Microsoft’s US Enterprise Commercial team – a group of over 2,000 sales, services, marketing and technical professionals that manages one of Microsoft’s largest commercial business with its biggest customers; and (2) Microsoft’s Small, Medium and Corporate sales teams in the US. In this role he is responsible for managing the provision of legal support in shaping, negotiating and closing large and complex cloud computing, artificial intelligence, professional services, software licensing and Internet of Things (IoT) solutions contracts and delivering a wide range of legal services in areas such as compliance, dispute resolution, litigation, intellectual property, cybersecurity, data privacy, employment law, artificial intelligence and antitrust law. Dennis also has the privilege of leading a team of 15 outstanding lawyers and legal professionals who are located across the US.
Dennis has over 20 years of legal experience – all in-house with Microsoft, Accenture and IBM. He has also spoken extensively at legal events and conferences on a variety of topics and has had numerous articles published both in print media and online.
Here is a listing of Dennis’s upcoming speaking engagements/articles for 2020 and his previous engagements/articles from 2019:
- Panelist, “New Ways to Break Old Barriers,” ABA Commission on Women in the Legal Profession, Chicago, March 3, 2020.
- Speaker, “Inside and Out: How to Make Your Practice Accessible,” American Bar Association TechShow 2020, Chicago, February 28, 2020.
- Speaker, “Rise Up: Diversity, Leadership and Innovation,” American Bar Association TechShow 2020, Chicago, February 28, 2020.
- Guest Lecturer at “International Tech, AI and Data Privacy” class at Chicago-Kent College of Law, February 13, 2020.
- Panelist, “Northwestern Journal of International Law and Business (JILB) symposium on AI in law,” February 11, 2020.
- Co-Chair, Presenter & Moderator, Practising Law Institute Artificial Intelligence Law 2020, New York City, January 27, 2020.
- Presenter, “Legal Industry Technology Trends and Digitally Transforming with Microsoft Teams,” Microsoft Executive Briefing Center Presentation to Legal Industry Customer, Redmond, Washington, December 4, 2019.
- Panelist, “AI: Leveraging Technology to Create a More Efficient and Successful Legal Department,” Columbia Law School Second Annual General Counsel Forum, New York City, October 4, 2019.
- Author, “Twitter 101 for Lawyers,” American Bar Association Law Technology Today, September 18, 2019.
- Keynote Speaker, “Digital Transformation in the Legal Profession,” Attorneys’ Liability Assurance Society (ALAS) Firm Administration Conference, Chicago, September 13, 2019.
- Cited in Footnotes 215 and 216 in Law Review Article, “OK, Google, Will Artificial Intelligence Replace Human Lawyering?”, 102 Marquette Law Review 1269 (2019).
- Panelist, “Artificial Intelligence in Corporate Legal Departments,” Legal Team Offsite of Strategic Microsoft Customer, Atlanta, September 9, 2019.
- Presenter, “The Microsoft Legal Team: Driving #TechIntensity,” Illinois Tech Chicago-Kent College of Law #MakeLawBetter Conference, August 15, 2019.
- Interview, “Being a Learn-it-All,” Corporate Counsel Business Journal, July 9, 2019.
- Author, “Be the Captain of Your Career,” High Performance Counsel, June 2019.
- Panelist, “AI and the Human Element: Elevating the Experience of Lawyers and Accountants through Alignment of AI Technology Utilization and Human-Centric Creativity,” Thomson Reuters Augment Conference, Chicago, June 6, 2019.
- Panelist, “Rapid Fire Client Panel: A RainDance Original,” Legal Sales & Services Organization (LSSO) 2019 RainDance Conference, Chicago, June 5, 2019.
- Panelist, “Utilizing Tech to Transform the Legal Department,” SuperConference 2019, Chicago, June 4, 2019.
- Speaker, “Artificial Intelligence: Implications for Judges, Lawyers and the Legal Profession,” Judicial Conference of the Fifth Circuit, New Orleans, May 8, 2019.
- Speaker, “Artificial Intelligence: Implications for Judges, Lawyers and the Legal Profession,” Judicial Conference of the Sixth Circuit, Milwaukee, May 6, 2019.
- Panelist,” Emerging Technologies: A Discussion about the Legal Implications of Artificial Intelligence, Driverless Vehicles and Blockchain,” Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC) Event, Chicago, April 18, 2019.
- Author, “The Top 3 Opportunities for Modern Lawyers,” High Performance Counsel, April 2, 2019.
- Panelist, “Success Stories: Key Competencies for Succeeding In-House,” Hispanic Association of Illinois Event, Chicago, March 28, 2019.
- Interview, “Q&A with Microsoft Assistant General Counsel Dennis Garcia,” Legal & Professional Services Council Event at Seyfarth Shaw, Chicago, March 21, 2019.
- Interview, “Interview with Dennis Garcia,” Notes from the Front Lines of Legal Innovation Blog, March 4, 2019.
- Presenter, “LinkedIn and You: Increase Your Visibility Via LinkedIn,” Presentation to the Corporate Legal Department of a Leading Professional Services Provider, Chicago, February 28, 2019.
- Co-Chair, Presenter & Moderator, “Practising Law Institute Artificial Intelligence Law 2019,” New York City, February 22, 2019.